One of the questions we often get during commercial garage door installation in Phoenix, AZ is whether the door needs reinforcement struts. These struts run the width of garage doors and reinforce the entire garage door and give you a layer of extra protection in certain situations. If you’re installing a new garage door soon, keep reading to determine whether or not you need to have these struts installed.
When are struts useful?
Are these struts useful for every door all day, every day? Not necessarily, but they can come in handy. Here are a couple scenarios in which you might want or need struts:
- Extra support for big doors: The larger your garage door gets, the more useful reinforcement struts become. Bigger doors are heavier and more prone to bowing when they’re in the open position. We typically see struts on doors that are 16 feet wide or bigger. Be sure to ask your garage door technician if he thinks struts are necessary when he’s installing your new door.
- During storms with strong winds: Your garage door is meant to ensure items in your garage stay safe in any conditions. Though it does its job 99 percent of the time, strong winds have been known to damage the door and wreak havoc in the garage. Luckily, these winds are typically only found during hurricanes or tornadoes, so we should be okay here in Arizona!
Other ways to protect your door
The good news is that reinforcement struts aren’t the only way to ensure your door goes unharmed. Follow this advice and your door should stand the test of time:
- Have it installed correctly: Ensure your door holds up through the years by hiring a professional to install it. When you choose Affordable Garage Doors for commercial garage door installation in Phoenix, AZ, you can rest easy knowing that your door will be set up correctly and will last through any strong winds. We’ll determine whether your new door needs struts, and quickly install them, so you don’t have to worry about it.
- Don’t park too close: If you don’t park your vehicle inside your garage, be sure you park a few feet away from the door in your driveway. The last thing you want is to have your car accidentally roll into the door and break the frame.
- Inspect it often: Lastly, you can prolong your door’s lifespan and ensure it looks good by checking it for dents or damage. Call us right away to fix any dents, as they compromise the structural integrity of your door and can cause big problems down the road.
Who can install struts for me?
Though there are plenty of companies in town that specialize in garage door maintenance in Phoenix, AZ, you should always choose our team at Affordable Garage Doors if your door needs reinforcement struts. In addition to installing struts, we provide all sorts of services that ensure your garage door works to the best of its ability and is safe to operate. Give us a call today to find out what we can do for you and your door.